Monday, February 6, 2012

About this Blog

Sailor Moon (written by Naoko Takeuchi) was the first manga/anime I fell in love with as a child. I loved that it was a show about a group of teenage girls who fought together using their new-found powers to fight evil and who made friends along the way. In every episode it was the girls who held the power, who had to find the strength in themselves to succeed and to fight for justice. However, the girls were not without their own flaws; they went to school, had arguments amongst themselves and had their own interests and hobbies, as well as their own quirks.The series has led me to study Japanese in college and to learn more about Japanese culture, moreover, I have also gained valuable friendships.


I started collecting Sailor Moon merchandise about ten years ago. I have seen prices change a lot over the years and have learned about many of the products. I watch sites like eBay frequently so that I can keep track of how much items are going for and how frequently they show up. In recent years I have even created spreadsheets containing many of the popular/common items collectors are looking for with any information I can collect about the items, as well as what I have recently seen the items selling for. I am constantly adding any information I can to the spreadsheets, and have plans to make more. Especially with the 20th Anniversary "Revival" of Sailor Moon this year and the many new products which are being released every month!


I hope that this blog will provide a lot of information to fellow collectors (and fans) about various products, both old and new. Even now, I am still finding out about various interesting and rare items which I never knew existed, and can't wait to see what the rest of 2012 will bring to us for new merchandise as well! Also, comments and questions are always encouraged, whether it be about the series in general or specific merchandise. Even if I can't answer your question on my own, I may know someone who can help and will gladly ask them or point you in their direction.

6 comments:

  1. While I haven't actually watched Sailor Moon in ages, I really like the animation style it presents and the girl-power it promotes. Prior to a house fire, I had amassed a fairly impressive Harry Potter collection, so I completely relate to your inclination to take notes regarding what is out there and the prices for which the items may be sold. I especially appreciate how you have included fashion items that are "Sailor Moon" in style. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally only have renter's insurance, but I do know of someone who has their collection insured on its own. I might do a post about collection insurance in the future, or I'll see if she has some type of article and at least link to it. A fire destroying everything I own is one of my biggest fears!

      I like finding "hidden" Sailor Moon objects, or just everyday items that remind me of Sailor Moon, jewelry is what I find most often!

      Delete
  2. As a guy, its a bit embarrassing to tell others that I used to watch Sailor Moon every morning before school so many years ago. I don't know what it was about that show but I had to tune in daily to see what happened to the Scouts next. I still remember the one morning I woke up and found Fox Morning News was airing in its spot. I was crushed....haha. I never did finish the series after that so I'm not sure how it ended.

    I do have a friend from high school that is still heavily into all things Sailor Moon. I think I'll direct her over here so she can check out your posts.

    And finally I have to ask...which is your favorite Scout? Venus and Mars were my top two ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of Sailor Moon fans who are men, they don't necessarily have collections, but they do exist! So trust me, you were definitely not alone. Even I am sometimes embarrassed to admit I am a fan, because of various stereotypes concerning anime fandoms.

      I used to run from the school bus to try to catch Sailor Moon after school! There are actually a total of 200 Sailor Moon episodes in 5 seasons, but the 5th season was never actually aired in America. Many fans are hoping we will get an official release of all 200 episodes for the current 20th anniversary.

      Thanks! I hope they will like it if they take a look.

      I find a bit of myself in each girl and really love them all so I can never really choose. However, my first "favorite" was Mercury, because I was a "nerd" like her and am very shy. So when I first started watching she was the one I connected the most with on a personal level.
      I can tell you that my favorite villain is Nehelenia (from the 4th season - SuperS).
      My boyfriend's favorite is Venus, he actually has a small collection which is centered around her, I think he may like Mars as well. I think this has influenced me to gravitate more towards Venus lately.

      Delete
  3. Hi! I'm the friend Gabe mentioned. I just had to drop by and say that I love your blog. Sailor Moon has, and always will have, a special place in my heart. It's been a huge influence on me since my childhood and still is to this day. It was sorta my gateway drug into the realm of manga and anime, more specifically shoujo manga/anime.

    And I am DYING of bitter, bitter envy at that collection of yours. It is my dream in life to one day own Usagi's Star Locket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I'm glad you stopped by! :) Sailor Moon was what introduced me to anime also!

      Thanks! Someday I will likely do a post with more information on my collection, but the toys in that photo are my favorite part! I am actually fortunate enough that the Star Locket was one of the first items I bought (and one of the first things to start my collection) years ago. I hope you will get one someday!

      Delete